Autumn is full throttle here at Casa Above the River. Wind and rain and a mass of red and gold cherry leaves swirling about the garden. As I type, a draught is blowing through the closed window. The dog is sat with his nose pressed to the glass, keeping an eye on the street. His people are out, and he is waiting for them, while simultaneously guarding against potential intruders. It's getting dark, on an overcast afternoon, barely quarter past four but I'll be putting on the lamp soon.
Amongst the baring branches of the trees in the back garden there have been dozens of goldfinches. This year seems to have been a bumper year. I counted over 50 the other day, flying in a flock between the trees and backwards and forwards to a feeder. The starlings have been doing their usual mass descent onto my neighbours' grapevine, which is still full of fruit. They suddenly all appear, go mad for a couple of minutes, then, poof, they're gone.
The biggest boy spotted a sparrowhawk in the neighbours' tree this week as well. It was a fantastic bird to see, so close to the house. You may be forgiven for thinking we spend all our time peering into the neighbours' garden. Well, it's possible we do. They are lovely, they don't mind at all.
I girded my loins and made a return trip to the dentist yesterday. It went something like this.
Me: It's getting a bit better I think. Maybe just a few more antibiotics and it will be all better. [I should point out that I am normally against antibiotics, but the pain had turned me into someone I didn't recognise. You know, like when a rhino or a tiger goes on the rampage, destroying villages and eating children, and when they finally capture it, it turns out to have toothache - that was me.]
Dentist: No, that won't work. It will need to come out eventually. You could try using mouthwash.
Me: Hmm. I think it's almost better though. You wouldn't give me just a bit more of the antibiotics, just to clear it up?
Dentist: No, they won't work. The tooth will need to come out eventually. We could do it now.
This went on for a bit.
Me: Oh, I suppose I don't have a choice then. Okay. Yes, do it.
Dentist: Shall we do it now?
Me: Okay, do it. [Needle approaches].
HANG ON, I'M NOT SURE NOW. If I had more antibiotics I think it would clear up.
Dentist: You could try mouthwash.
Me: (Sadly) It won't work. It really hurts. Oh, go on then.
[Dentist numbs mouth and leaves it to work for a couple of minutes, then pokes my gum with instrument of torture.]
Me: I CAN FEEL THAT, I CAN STILL FEEL IT, IT HASN'T WORKED YET, I'M NOT NUMB, I CAN STILL FEEL IT.
Dentist: You can just feel the pressure, it's all numb.
Me: IT'S NOT NUMB, I'M FEELING IT.
Dentist: Open a bit wider. [Crunch]. There we are, all done.
Me: Oh.
Dental nurse: [Inserting gauze pad] Bite on this.
Me: [Surprised] Tha wathn't ath bad ath I thaw it woo be.
No pain at all! Turns out I was all nicely numb after all. And it turns out I'm completely dramatic when it comes to teeth. Never mind, all done now. I am looking forward to the return to actual proper food. I have some nice stuffed pasta in the fridge, and I might even manage a finely chopped salad. Anything scrumptious planned for yourselves over the weekend? I hope you enjoy. CJ xx
0 Yorumlar